Sometimes I feel like reading has become more of a sport than an enjoyable hobby. Everyone seems to compare themselves to others and get upset if they haven’t read a set amount of books each month. I’ll admit to feeling like this on occasion and I do try and read a book a week so I feel like I have accomplished something in my reading life. At the moment, five books seem to be around a number of books I read each month, October was no different.
What I Read
> The Circle by Dave Eggers – ⭐️⭐️⭐️
I only had the interest to pick up this book as Tom Hanks, my favourite actor, stars in the movie adaption, and being the bookworm I am, I tend to read the books before seeing the film. I enjoyed the book and the concept, but I feel like it wasn’t executed as well as it could have been. The movie adaption was meh. But at least I can now cross off another Tom Hanks film off my list. I have actually already given this book to my mum, as I know I won’t be picking it up again.
> Girl Online: Going Solo – ⭐️⭐️⭐️.75
This series is a guilty pleasure for me. I’m not a massive fan of Youtubers bringing out books, but I have to admit, Zoe Sugg has done well. I really enjoyed this series and thought the final book was the perfect ending for the series and the characters.
> Dark Matter by Blake Crouch – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I loved this book. One of the best books I’ve read this year. However, I think it’s a book that’s better going into it knowing nothing. All I’ll say is, mind-blown, sci-fi, adventure.
> It Only Happens In Movies by Holly Bourne – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.75
After such an intense, mind-blowing book, I had to dive into a light fluffy read to balance it out, and Holly Bourne once again didn’t disappoint. I loved this book, it was so enjoyable. I loved the romance and loved how she incorporated all the serious issues mentioned into the story. Highly recommend Holly Bourne if you haven’t check out any of her books yet.
> One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M.McManus – currently reading
I’m currently working my way through this read as I’m writing this post. I’m only around 30 pages into it so I don’t really have any thoughts or opinions on it as of yet. I’m hoping to finish it before the month is up.
If I do manage to finish “One of Us is Lying”, here are my reading stats….
Monthly Reading Stats
I’m really happy with how much I read this month, and I also read some awesome books. I don’t think you’ll ever see a reading wrap up post that doesn’t feature at least one contemporary book, haha! What did you read this month? Have I attempted you to add anything to your TBR pile?
until next time,
Plan With Me | October Review & November Set Up
5 Youtubers You Should Be Watching
Although I’m currently suffering a major reading slump, I’ve been an avid reader since the summer of
69 2014. 3 years of reading, averaging around 40 books each year, is a lot of stories to compete in my mind to be remembered. But without a doubt, as every reader does, you will connect with some books more than others. Therefore today I’m bringing you the books I remember reading and loving and knew instantly they were making my favourite books of all time list.
I will always be drawn towards YA contemporaries more than any other genre so the majority of this list just made my heart flutter due to the swoon worthy characters and the relationships and moments they shared. However, if a non-contemporary made this list, then you know it’s special as it means a book out of my comfort zone hit me hard. However, even the non-contemporary seem to have some sort of romance in them…opsie!
All eight of these books touched me in completely different ways and no list is complete without Harry Potter right?! It’s crazy how over the past 3 years my tastes have changed and therefore so have my favourite books. Except a few firm favourites, this type of list will forever be growing and changing as you find new favourites to add or realise that a certain book was good before but after reading books of similar content, realise they were better.
Some of my old “all time” favourite books included The Maze Runner series by James Dashner and although this series brings back good memories of when I first started reading it and I still love it because of that reason and still technically class it as a favourite, it doesn’t have that connection to me anymore, therefore didn’t make this list. Another “used to be favourite” is the Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole. I adored this series when I first read it, falling head over heels for Jack. But as the series progressed, having to wait over a year for the fourth book, I was loosing interest. I actually reread the series up to that point to prepare myself for the new book and just felt differently about it. It just wasn’t as good as I remember and that’s the one downside to rereading book.
Do we have any of the same favourites? Let’s chat in the comments.
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM
Welcome Back!!! I’ve come to that point in my life where I look at my bookshelves and feel like I have nothing to read, similar to girls with having no clothes in their wardrobe even though it’s jam packed and the doors won’t close. However, I’m a student and seriously can’t even afford to buy a single book right now so I’m just going to fantasise over the books that are coming out this year that I most likely won’t be able to buy and read for ages but I desperately want.
I don’t tend to get very excited for book releases from authors I haven’t read before or aren’t a continuation of a series I’ve read and loved so my list doesn’t feature any debut author releases. I tend to only get excited for those releases after they have been published and I’ve heard raved reviews about them.
- A List of Cages by Robin Roe – I know this is already out as I’m really late in posting this but I’ve heard nothing by amazing things about it and I really want to get my hands on it. (January 10th 2017)
- Wires and Nerve by Marissa Meyer – Another book that is already out…opsie. This is a graphic novel spin off series from The Lunar Chronicles and it focuses on Iko which is awesome and really want to read it. I loved Cinder and Scarlet, I’m currently reading Cress and love being back with these characters and in this world. (January 31st 2017)
- The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon – This is the third book in The Bone Season series. I read the first book, The Bone Season back in 2015 and it was one of my favourite reads of that year. The second book, The Mime Order is a little intimidating as it’s so big and I’m worried I’ve forgotten a lot that happened in the first book. But saying that, it doesn’t make me any less excited for the next book to be released. (March 7th 2017)
- Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han – To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before and P.S I Still Love You were meant to be a duology but last year Jenny Han announced a third book in this now trilogy. I absolutely adored the first two books in these trilogy and I can’t wait to see how it wraps up, I just hope it’s not a flop. (May 2nd 2017)
- Release by Patrick Ness – I’ve only read one of his books, The Rest of Us Just Live Here but adored it and brought all his other books, none of which I have read but want to get to soon. As soon as I saw this book on the 2017 releases page on GoodReads, I immediately knew I wanted to read it, I don’t even know what it’s about.(May 4th 2017)
- Girl Online: Going Solo by Zoe Sugg – Now you may be like, isn’t this already out? And yes you are correct but I own the other two books in this series as paperbacks so I’m just waiting for the third book to be released as a paperback so it can match the other two, sad I know. This isn’t the best written book out there but it brings me a smile to my face and it’s just a fun book to read. I’m excited to see how the series wraps up.(August 1st)
- All About Mia by Lisa Williamson – Lisa Williamson’s book, The Art of Being Normal was my favourite book I read last year and has easily reached my favourite books of all time list. I still think about it to this day so when I heard that she was releasing another book this year I just knew I had to get my hands on it. I actually only found out last week from the lovely blogger over at, Stark Reviews and that’s where the inspiration for this blog post came from. After loving Lisa’s first book, I think I will read anything she releases and will become an auto-buy for me. Let’s hope this book is as good as her first. (September 12th 2017)
Only seven books but I think I’m equally excited for each one of them and plus, I don’t really have the cash to splash on new releases so it’s quite good I’m only excited for a few and that they are fairly spaced out during the year. I’m so poor that I’m actually arranging to join my local library which I haven’t used since I was a little kid, purely because I don’t like secondhand books but my love of reading has overcome that, and I’m willing to try the library again to save me some cash.
Are you excited for any of the same releases as me? Have you read either of the books that are already out? Let’s chat in the comments.
until next time,
Check Out My Last Blog Post
University Tips and Tricks
January Wrap Up & February TBR
The Makeup Book Tag
Favourite Books of 2016
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM
Welcome Back!!! It’s that time of year already to create goals that none of us stick to but feel like we need to make them anyway because you know…new year new you. I actually really tried this year to accomplish the goals I set myself and although I did accomplish some, others are still left uncompleted…”start swimming” I’m looking at you. I’ve grown so much as person over this past year that no goal I set myself could of prepared me for how much more confident I’ve become. And with all that said, here are the goals I want to work towards and hopefully accomplish in the year 2017.
(Disclaimer: All header images within this blog post are taken from “unsplash”. No photos in this blog post are my own)
Let’s start with the fun one…BLOGGING GOALS:
I’ve been blogging for about 7 months now and I’ve already surpassed 400 followers which is BONKERS!! But working out these stats, I’ve created the following goals that I hope will be achievable within the new year…
- Reach 1,000 followers on WordPress
- Reach 500 followers on Instagram and Twitter
- Reach 100 followers on Bloglovin’
I want to really try and build my blog and my social media platforms in 2017. I love blogging so much that if one day it would become some sort of a “job” or even something I did more on the side, I wouldn’t complain. Of course, these are just goals and dreams but if I was just able to accomplish one I will be happy.
If you didn’t know by now, I’m a massive bookworm. I love reading. For the past 2 years I’ve been making GoodReads reading goals. 2015 I challenged myself to read 40 books, I read 53. In 2016, I challenged myself to read 55 books and I read 43. However, half way through 2016, my reading goal was stressing me out so I decided to no longer use GoodReads and instead I created an excel spreadsheet to track my reading. For me, this is a lot more relaxing and less stressful. However, I still want to set myself a challenge…
- Read 50 books. I think 50 is a good round number. 50 doesn’t sound a lot yet it’s a good reachable goal for me. It’s just under a book a week, which I think is doable as I don’t have to stress if I find myself in a reading slump but also if I’m smashing a reading month it just spurs me on more.
- Branch out in Graphic Novels. I love The Walking Dead graphic novels. Unfortunately, I haven’t read a volume in ages so it’s hard for me to get back into them (I want to reread them from the start). However, I have never reached out into any other graphic novels and I know there are so many more amazing ones out there.
- Step out of my comfort zone. I’m a lover of contemporary and will always veer towards that genre when I want to read because I know I’m going to enjoy it. However, I also LOVE books like “The Bone Season”, “The Maze Runner”, “Legend”, “Alienated”…the list goes on. If a book entertains me, it doesn’t matter what genre it fits into, I just need to break that barrier of always picking up the same types of books.
- Finish my first year of uni, happy, still loving my course, the people and with a good grade.
- Use my polaroid camera more. One of my 2016 goals was to take more pictures. This goal I completed and completed some more but I realised they were mostly all taken on my phone. I adore polaroids when I take them, I just want to make more use out of my Polaroid camera to capture pictures I can’t with a phone.
- Just be happy. 2016 has shown me that there are highs after the lows and 2016 has been my best year yet. I just want to keep that positivity going through 2017 to make sure it’s another amazing year, no matter what it throws at me.
Three goals in each category. Nine goals to work towards in 2017. 12 months to complete them in. Doable right? I hope so.
2016 was one hell of an amazing year and I’m so sad to see it come to an end but I know 2017 will be just as good or even better. I take each day as they come and I can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for me.
Do you set goals? What goals are you setting yourself?
until next time,
Check Out My Last Post
The Boyfriend Tag
5 Things I Want To Do This Festive Season
Christmas Wish List
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM
Welcome Back!!! It’s time for another monthly wrap up which I still can’t get my head around. The older you get the quicker each year just whizzes by. October though, saw my reading slump come to a end…thank god! However, I’m still not reading as quickly as I used to and that’s purely because I’ve started uni, I’m keeping up at my internship and I have a boyfriend which takes up a lot more time than you would think. However, in October I read 4 books…if you count the one I’m currently reading which I hope to finish by Monday.
Books I’ve Finished:
- Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️)
- Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.75)
- Hexed by Michelle Krys (⭐️⭐️⭐️)
Seeing as it was October I decided to pick up a couple reads which fitted the Halloween theme, those being Girl On The Train and Hexed. I really really enjoyed Girl On The Train, much more than I was expecting to be honest. Hexed was enjoyable and a fast read but nothing stood out for me so therefore I don’t think I’ll be continuing on with the series.
Books I’ve DNF’ed:
- Poison Princess by Kresley Cole – I only DNF’ed this book and I hate to admit it as it’s the first book in one of my all time favourite series. But I just felt that the reread was pulling me into a reading slump, which I did not want as I was just getting out of one so I put it down. At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with DNFing books. I DNFed Girl On The Train at the beginning of this year because I wasn’t feeling it and now I’ve read it and rated it 4.75 stars, showing that sometimes it is you and not the book.
Favourites: I haven’t done this segment in a while
- Favourite Book: Girl On The Train.
- Favourite Cover: Poison Princess, even though I didn’t actually read it.
- Favourite Character: Amy, I just loved her development.
- Favourite Book Quote: I don’t have one for this month unfortunately.
- The Next Together by Lauren James
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling (audiobook)
- Did I Mention I Miss You? by Estelle Maskame [book 3 in the DIMILY series]
- Short Stories from Hogwarts collection by JK Rowling
- Fairytale Beginnings by Holly Martin
All of these books are actually ebooks on my phone as I find it a lot easier…and lighter to read ebooks on my phone when on my commute into London each day for uni. It’s not a very big TBR pile but I don’t want to over achieve myself and be disappointed if I read less.
Overall, I’m really happy with what I achieved reading wise this month as it has been very hectic as you will see in my monthly moments post coming soon. I’ve recently realised that train journey’s really help you read more. So if I focus more on reading on the train rather than listening to music I should be able to read even more in November…wish me luck!!
What books did you finish this month? What are you planning on reading in November, I would love to know. If you have your own Wrap Up/TBR posts, leave them down below as well.
until next time,
Check Out My Last Blog Post