Welcome Back!!! I’ve read a total of 21 books so far this year and although I’m pleased with my progress, I’m also not happy about it as well. I’ve reread a lot of books this year so the total of new books I’ve read is even less. My GoodReads reading goal for 2016 is to read 55 books which I’m unsure whether I’ll reach now but you never know so I’m going to keep reading at the pace I currently am and I’m going to keep enjoying all my rereads and books I pick up.
With having only read 21 books so far this year coming up with my favourites wasn’t too hard. Of course I’ve loved all my rereads; Billy and Me by Giovanna Fletcher, Harry Potter (books 1 & 2), Just One Day etc but the books that have stood out for me this year aren’t very many although I have only rated 2 books less than 4 stars? It’s boggled me? How can only 3 books make this list when most of my reads have been 5 stars? I guess this list is just the books that I still think about because they just opened my eyes to a different world and I know they will stick with me for a long time.
So what are those 3 books that have made my list?
- The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson
- Fat Dad Fat Kid by Shay and Gavin Butler
- War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- The Art of Being Normal – This is the first book I read in 2016 and it’s still so vivid in my mind. This is an LGBT book and it’s the first LGBT book I’ve ever read and I loved it. This book is written so beautifully and I think Lisa does an amazing job on touching on a very serious subject. It’s written in dual perceptive by Dan and Leo, they are both in school so I think reading about this topic from a children/teen PoV was seriously eye opening and I recommend this book to everyone. GO PICK IT UP!!! (I already want to reread and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be my favourite book of the year)
- Fat Dad Fat Kid – I love Shay Butler and the whole Shaytards gang so when Shay announced he was coming out with a book with Gavin I knew I had to read it. What I didn’t know was how impactful and motivational this read would be. I always loved Shay for how he speaks his mind, I could listen to him for hours and soak up every word he says. This book was no exception. You would think by the title it was just a weight loss book, but oh my it’s so much more than that. It taught me so many valuable life lessons and even if you are not a fan of Shay…or have never heard of him..I don’t know why you wouldn’t have?, I highly recommend you pick this up….writing this has made me want to reread it.
- War Horse – Another amazing yet impactful read for me. I love the story of War Horse. I saw the west end play of it 5 times before it closed to go on tour so I knew the story well before reading the book. However, I didn’t expect it to be such an emotional read seeing as I knew the ending and the story so well. The book touched me in a whole other way than the play ever did. I think this is due to the fact you get to know the characters on an entirely different level so you feel more connected to them so when certain things happen, effecting me more. Brilliant read.
Although these are the top books I’ve read in 2016 so far I can’t wait to see what the rest of 2016 of reading brings me. I know 3 books may not be a lot but those 3 books will be books I will constantly reread over the years as they impacted me so much.
Some honourable mentions are:
- Always with Love (Billy and Me #2) by Giovanna Fletcher
- The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu
- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
What are your favourite books of 2016 so far? I would love to know, they may become some of my 2016 favourites.
until next time…
Check Out My Last Blog Post: